Wednesday, June 27, 2012

LEO GURSKY IS SURVIVED BY AN APARTMENT FULL OF SHIT, or the case of missed opportunities.

The History of Love may sound like a sappy love story, and many would skip over it's cover in a browsing session at the book store. (Yes, people still browse at book stores) I read it, and I read the book by the author's husband that draws similarities. I loved both in different ways and felt connect to both in different ways.

I read the bulk of this book at the Baltimore City Court while I waited, and waited to find out if I would serve as a juror. I never got called into a courtroom, but think the near completion of The History of Love and the BLT sandwich I had for lunch 'wins' for the day. As the lunch hour drew near, I thought about where I would go eat, and finally decided to just walked down Charles Street to see what I could find. Before reaching my destination I walked several blocks and people watched along the way. At one point I noticed a girl walking my way. I also noticed that she was carrying a book in her hand. She was attractive. I wanted to know what she was reading, so when she got closer I slowed my pace. As she passed by me I was able to see the book she was holding. The History of Love was cradled in the palm of her right hand, while my copy was clutched in my left. We were reading the same book. If this book was The Hunger Games, or any other current, popular book I wouldn't have thought anything of it. No this was a book that I picked up at a used book sale, that was written seven years ago. As the girl got further away from me I stopped in my tracks and momentarily thought I should say something to her. Something told me to say something to her. However, something else told me not to.

I couldn't help but think about the incident and how I might have missed out on an opportunity. She might have thought it was an amazing find that we were both reading this book. We might've grabbed lunch together and talked about Leo and Alma, and we might've made plans to get together another time. The other side of me says she wouldn't have thought anything of the coincidence and she would have chuckled. She would have walked away anyways.

The book in itself is a story of missed opportunities in a way, so it seems almost fitting that I considered the possibilty of this coincidence and it's later 'kick myself' moment. If I were writing my memiors, I would have several chapters titled The History of Love and Other Missed Opportunities. They would tell stories of looking for excuses, or reasons not to pursue someone. 'She didn't have eyebrows," or "Our schedules would never let it work." I need to be more open to the opportunities given to me, and get less stuck in my own head over these things. I do believe that it is not healthy to pursue unavailable women, but it's also unhealthy to not pursue someone before you've even given them a chance. I need to be open to the opportunites around me, and open to the possibility that these opportunities might not work out, and open to the possibilty that these opportunities might work out.

Otherwise....When they write my obituary....it will say, RYAN KLOETZER IS SURVIVED BY AN APARTMENT FULL OF SHIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment